Image: Crown Stitch Fireworks by Helen Miller
The Embroiderers’ Guild Top Ten New Year Resolutions (for Embroiderers and Textile Artists)
- Take care of your mental health. Find time for a daily stitch meditation. Slow stitch when watching TV.
- Take care of the Environment. Use items from your stash whenever you can. Recycle used textiles to create something new.
- Take care of friends and family. Stitch keepsakes and personal presents.
- Nurture your creativity. Start a Sketchbook or keep an ideas journal. Explore a new stitch, try out a new colour palette.
- Learn a new skill (or refresh an old one). Take up solar or ice dyeing. Try eco-printing. Experiment with other ways of applying colour or image to cloth. Print, paint or stamp; use a Gelli plate; or draw with Inktense pencils.
- Try a new stitch technique. Pick something you’ve admired but not tried before.
- Teach the next generation. Share your love of stitch with your children (or grandchildren). Gift a younger relative with supplies or a place on a beginner’s workshop.
- Think about the future. Plan for disposal of your stash as well as your finished pieces. Leave instructions in your will or share detailed notes with a family member.
- Join a local group (or volunteer to help with your current one).
- Take part. Book a place on a workshop or course. Attend an on-line talk. Join the Guild!